Monday 27 August 2012

I'm Just A Calendar Guy!!!!


When I asked myself…do I want to commit to a production of Calendar Girls for a period of weeks, attend rehearsals in the back and beyond, learn another role for six performances…?

I answered…absolutely.

To be told that you have joined the company as one of four male roles…one can only feel a tremendous sense of pride. After all, to me it was only a ‘filler’ of some sort’s before I made my way back to the misty murky depths of Aberystwyth for my second year at University. I wish my arrogant young self knew back then that this would be a production to place front and centre of the trophy cabinet.

But there is one other reason why this calendar guy said yes. Not only for the formidable reputation presented by BLT in every production that they do (and I.E.D by Vic Mills for the Gwent One Act Play Festival last year was one tough challenge to say in the least!) or for the hilarious comedic genius that is Tim Firth…but for the time spent working with these lovely ladies.

And boy they are a gas!

In theatre rehearsals can become tedious, repetitive…dull; but with witty quips a plenty and buns to boot, every rehearsal brings a fresh approach to the table. With the skilful direction and co-ordination of the wonderful Peta Maidman, one can’t help but think ‘what the hell have we got into?’ with a slightly silly grin on the face and a chuckle in the stomach.

Who wouldn’t laugh at the sight of dear Ros entering clothed head-to foot in a rabbit costume, her character humiliated, only to the response of Yve uttering ‘…I wouldn’t worry about that, love. You have to get your tits out on stage whatever happens…’

It’s been…what’s the word? Oh yes…a privilege

Chris (Liam)

No comments:

Post a Comment