Sunday 26 August 2012

I Am Not Shy, BUT............


Now, I'm not shy, and it has been said once or twice that you can always tell when I'm in the audience. But, something has just occurred to me, in about a week's time I will be standing "nude" behind nothing more than a tiny bit of crockery!!?? O M G how and when did this happen?  Well, let me explain.  We had just finished performing our Peter Karrie concert. When Peta Maidman said to a few of us ladies "how do you all feel about doing Calendar Girls next year?"  As you can imagine, there was a resounding yes from us all (it was the natural high we were on and nothing to do with the alcohol we had all consumed).  Well that was last year...... Fast forward to only a few months ago, you see it’s a bit like agreeing to do a bungee jump - being on stage, at the time you think yeah great, no problem -  then when it comes around, the fear suddenly sets in and you're like a rabbit in the headlights only this time without your clothes. So here I am wearing just a bit more than my best smile and swearing to go on a diet.
 I have had the best time, and don't know why I was so worried, as we're all in the same boat, with the same hang-ups, promising all who can hear us to stop eating chocolate.  I have to say this has been the most fun I've ever had with a bunch of "ladies" that didn't involve alcohol.


When the cast list was first announced, I made my husband Gareth read the list twice, just to make sure that he hadn't made a mistake and there was no-one more surprised than myself to have been given the part of Annie. The fact is that, when Gwen (Chris) asked if I was going to the reading, I honestly and truly thought that I would be lucky to get any part, given all the talent that BLT has amongst its ranks. Secretly I always fancied the role of Celia, as I have always wanted "considerably bigger buns".  But I have really enjoyed getting to know Annie and hope that I do the part justice.

The Ladies of BLT

 As for my part in the Calendar, I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be lying on a bed in a shop in Blackwood, covering my pudenda with nothing but a few cushions. All I can say, is that sometimes you just have to take a deep breath, smile your most charming smile at the camera and hope that all those years sitting on your backside, eating chocolate biscuits and watching TV, aren't going to show. (I even went jogging that morning ....... as if that would help).  Much love and gratitude has to be given to Louise, our photographer, who did a fantastic job in making us all feel relaxed and beautiful on the day.
Frankie Baskerville


 I'm looking forward to what I know is going to be an extraordinary week but I have to say I am feeling very nervous and stripy as I’ve just come back from a week in the sun about getting "nude" for the first time this Sunday in rehearsal.  Peta thank you for giving me this chance to become a sunflower Frankie (Annie).xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment