Wednesday 5 September 2012

There’s Not A Cure For Baldness Either




I am a bit-part actor at BLT and have popped up in the last few productions to deliver a line or two as a supporting actor in the shadow of the stars of the show.  Therefore, when they were looking for a male actor to deliver a few lines in the first act of Calendar Girls, then die before the interval I was the obvious choice!

It is also a major advantage to the costume department that I am completely bald, well I like to consider my head shaven but I shan’t split hairs.  My baldness is a major advantage as I simply have to remove my headgear to appear gaunt and dying of an incurable disease.  Hmmm, do I really look that bad in real life?

I think that the play is full of a myriad of emotion, from laughter, tears, guilt, anger, selfishness, jealousy, grief…..or am I just describing five minutes sat in the ladies dressing room?  I am of course joking because I am impressed with the ladies in the show.  I think that true beauty isn’t superficial; it’s about who these women are.  Their true beauty lies in their confidence and the fact that they are prepared to bare their soul in front of a live audience.

In all seriousness it is full of all those emotions I mentioned and I can’t really describe the deep vibrant pleasure that watching it will give you.  I do however encourage you to open yourselves up to the emotions, perhaps a little like the moment just before a child bursts into tears.  He knows that he is about to cry but he does nothing to hold it back.  He has no shame; he wants to drown in it, to be swallowed up by his emotions.

This is what I want you to do, allow yourselves to be consumed by your emotions and enjoy the journey that this fabulous play will take you on.

John Clarke (Bleddyn – proud to be bald for my art)

No comments:

Post a Comment